Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Micro Speaker / Monitor Rec?  (Read 8716 times)

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Micro Speaker / Monitor Rec?
« on: August 28, 2009, 09:00:08 AM »
I've been told I need to scale down the playback setup in the living room by the significant other since she moved in.  I get to keep my higher end playback setup in a different room, so no loss really.  So I'm looking at just running an integrated amp, a squeeze-box and a set of micro speakers to make her happy. 

I could use some advice on micro speakers / or small monitors.  I have one friend recommending Orb Speakers and they look like they've gotten some good reviews and are ballpark price range.  Anyone else have any feedback on low-pro speakers that won't compromise too much audio quality?  I'd say $600 is the budget....
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Micro Speaker / Monitor Rec?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:16:57 AM »
Get some high-efficeiny speakers and this amp...
http://6moons.com/audioreviews/trends/ta10.html

I was able to borrow ToddR's amp and my impressions were right in line with the 6moons guys. I actually had written my thoughts down and emailed them out and found the 6moons review later - couldn't believe how much in agreement we were.

Anyway its a great little amp at 2-3 times the price, totally quiet and black background. Unobtrusive. Matched with some high efficiency small speakers it would make a great living room setup.

Sorry, no help on the speakers but I've been contemplating a living room setup with that amp for a couple of weeks now and wanted to throw that out there.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 02:50:24 PM »
Though of course I wouldn't disagree with Tim in regards to the Trends T-amp (use it in my computer playback system), I'd also recommend the AudioEngine A5's. 

I got the A5's for a non-critical living room playback system, and they are very nice.  They're basically powered monitors, with inputs for an ipod and other 1/8" playback devices.  I use mine fed by either my ipod or squeezebox, making a compact playback system.  The A5's also have sub outs and in our new place, I set them up with a small sub.  The system sounds great and has a small footprint.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 03:17:06 PM »
Is there any difference between this and the Trends TA10, other than price?

Also, would VR-1's need a little more (SS) power than 10W?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 07:19:47 AM »
the vr-1 is 89db sensitive so my guess is that it would work pretty well with a T amp.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick's Picks

• I thought I heard.......
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 08:43:53 AM »
no, it would not.
89db is barely sufficient to get lout with.  you need a solid 50wpc of class A SS or 40wpc of tubes to get that rating to sing.  At least thats my experience.  but I might prefer louder presentation than you.
right now, my speakers are 89db and my 50wpc Stingray barely drives them to where I like it.

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 10:57:26 AM »
no, it would not.
89db is barely sufficient to get lout with.  you need a solid 50wpc of class A SS or 40wpc of tubes to get that rating to sing.  At least thats my experience.  but I might prefer louder presentation than you.
right now, my speakers are 89db and my 50wpc Stingray barely drives them to where I like it.

Define loud. Keep in mind that we're talking about a living room system, not his big rig.

I ran my B&W 602.5's which are 88db efficient off of ToddR's Tamp for a week and it sounded great in my 14x20 listening space. As loud as my integrated tube amp? No, but certainly a very good volume - far above what I'd run in my living room second system. If you have experience running a 88-89db efficient speakers with T-amp I'm all ears but comparing it to what you get out of your integrated tube amp is apples and grapefruits. It should be noted though that VSA advertised the VR-1's as be a good match with SET amps - which are going to give ~5 watts of tube power.

What spl do you like to listen at? I drive my B&W's with a 30wpc tube amp and have plenty of juice and then some. Getting into 90dbs is no issue. My amp is an el34 based amp.

Maybe we have different expectations of loud though?

Offline Todd R

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 11:39:31 AM »
Is there any difference between this and the Trends TA10, other than price?

Also, would VR-1's need a little more (SS) power than 10W?

Good find on that, looks exactly the same as my Trends T-amp -- fantastic price for this piece of gear!

On the loudness front, I can't see using one of these little t-amps for your main playback system (presuming you like the ability to really get loud at times), but they work great for a living room setup for casual listening or for a computer playback system where you're sitting just a couple feet from your speakers.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 12:50:46 PM »
Here's an even cheaper one.

http://tinyurl.com/nearvz
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:56:47 PM by AudBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Todd R

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 01:51:41 PM »
 :o  Wow, I may need to buy 1 or 2 of those on general principal.

Offline Todd R

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 03:45:03 PM »

Focker -- I am debating switching things around and maybe getting another one of these T-amps.  If you have any interest in going the AudioEngine A5 route, drop me a line -- I might want to sell mine.

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 08:27:22 PM »

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 06:18:44 AM »
I wonder if you could hack one into a MONO amp...and get two.
:)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 06:19:56 AM »
no, it would not.

Define loud. Keep in mind that we're talking about a living room system, not his big rig.

I ran my B&W 602.5's which are 88db efficient off of ToddR's Tamp for a week and it sounded great in my 14x20 listening space. As loud as my integrated tube amp? No, but certainly a very good volume - far above what I'd run in my living room second system. If you have experience running a 88-89db efficient speakers with T-amp I'm all ears but comparing it to what you get out of your integrated tube amp is apples and grapefruits. It should be noted though that VSA advertised the VR-1's as be a good match with SET amps - which are going to give ~5 watts of tube power.

What spl do you like to listen at? I drive my B&W's with a 30wpc tube amp and have plenty of juice and then some. Getting into 90dbs is no issue. My amp is an el34 based amp.

Maybe we have different expectations of loud though?

that too....
a small pair of speakers rated at 89db is one thing, my speakers are not small, and that is another reason why I can't get them where I want.
Loud to me, concert volume where I was at the time of whatever recording I'm listening to.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.299 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com