Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Powering laptops in the field  (Read 4120 times)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Powering laptops in the field
« on: June 19, 2004, 05:26:48 PM »
Ok, got a laptop unexpectantly at no cost. 1.7gHz, 512MB ram, onboard DVD/CD burner, the works.

Think I might give it a spin in the field at some point. Wonder of ways to power it in the field. I see the powerpads, but those are a bit pricey, heard you can use a 12vot SLA and some inverter for it like you would use in a car...what would I need for that outside of the batter...where to get it.

Looking at the M-Audio firewire dojabbie that will pass my V3 24bit96khz signal to the lappy via firewire....
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline AT853rxwh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
Re: Powering laptops in the field
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 05:58:50 PM »
Ok, got a laptop unexpectantly at no cost. 1.7gHz, 512MB ram, onboard DVD/CD burner, the works.

Think I might give it a spin in the field at some point. Wonder of ways to power it in the field. I see the powerpads, but those are a bit pricey, heard you can use a 12vot SLA and some inverter for it like you would use in a car...what would I need for that outside of the batter...where to get it.

Looking at the M-Audio firewire dojabbie that will pass my V3 24bit96khz signal to the lappy via firewire....

Big prob with inverters is they really suck back the juice.  How long are you planning on recording?
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 06:17:10 PM »
I don't intend to do a ton right off th bat. Want to try it out for a show, got a big 12v volt 7ah battery...how long would that power a lappy? The firewire audiophile can also be powered by the firewire cable from the laptop, so how much more drain would that put on...If I can get 5hours I would be happy for now.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 09:36:21 PM »
is it able to work with the bateryspace.com universal packs?

there are also some universal packs similar to what people are using for the ua5s now on ebay, meant for laptops

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 10:06:00 PM »
have to check my lappie specs, that place does have a good bat back for the firewire audiophile though
In Tyler we Trust

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 10:32:28 PM »
is it able to work with the bateryspace.com universal packs?

there are also some universal packs similar to what people are using for the ua5s now on ebay, meant for laptops

Battery for my new lappy is 11.1V 3800mAh, AC power adapter says 19volt output.....confused....There is one pack that outputs 19.2volt to fit any 14.2v-18v dc input laptop.... ??? This is all greek to me..what will work, there are some others that are 10-12 volt DC input that say if your battery voltage says 10.4-12volts then you should be ok...what do I need here?
In Tyler we Trust

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 01:11:17 PM »
valence ncharge
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 01:12:26 PM »
yea, I plan to check out the more expensive solutions if I dig doing it, for now, something cheaper to get me there.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline peeeper

• Taperssection Regular
  • F-you Maize and Blue!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004, 10:27:16 PM »
First thing I suggest is not to go the DC/AC inverter route.  The process of changing DC to AC creates high amounts of RF noise which could cause other electronic devices, such as your recording equipment, not to perform as desired.  Whether or not this is noticeable in the recording, the potential is there.  Being a taper that uses a laptop, I would get one of these;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42167&item=3487313147&rd=1 
This will change the input voltage of 12 volts to your 19 Volts I believed you said you need.  This will also take less energy then using a DC/AC inverter, which means more battery life.  Use a $10 to $20 12volt 7Ah SLA battery to power the DC/DC converter.  I currently use two of those batteries in parallel which gives me about 7.5 to 8 hours of power for everything including the laptop, so just using one of the batteries would be great for a good four hours.
field: SKM184 > MME > VAIO, D8
home: DA-20 > WT2496

You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do. --Jerry Garcia

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2004, 10:30:19 PM »
cool, thanks for the input, more to look at
In Tyler we Trust

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 03:36:16 PM »
Battery for my new lappy is 11.1V 3800mAh, AC power adapter says 19volt output.....confused....There is one pack that outputs 19.2volt to fit any 14.2v-18v dc input laptop.... ??? This is all greek to me..what will work, there are some others that are 10-12 volt DC input that say if your battery voltage says 10.4-12volts then you should be ok...what do I need here?

I have often wondered about that, I think the extra voltage/ampage is to charge the battery, it would run at the higher v/a while charging, and drop closer to the battery specs when not.  Not sure but it's the only thing that has made sense to me.
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 04:13:18 PM »
>>heard you can use a 12vot SLA and some inverter for it like you would use in a car<<

like peeeper said, it's not an inverter, but something that just boosts the dc voltage from 12 to whatever the laptop needs

when i ran an ibook in 02, i used a car adapter from lind electronics to power it for 4 hours off of a 12v 7 amp hour sla.  if that died, there was then still the fully charged internal battery.  the adapter was 50 bucks and battery 15.  very affordable option

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.18 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com