Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: beyer mv-100 power  (Read 3979 times)

Offline wacky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
beyer mv-100 power
« on: July 21, 2004, 04:34:25 PM »
I'm considering building a outboard battery power supply for my mv100. From posts I've read both here and from elec. engineers on rec.pro-adio the the unit it VERY similar to the Sonosax.
According to folks I've talked to and conversed with it uses the same ssm2017 chip. People have said it's the same circuit essentially. with the "sax" having balanced outs and continuous gain.

I've tried getting beyerdynamic to fax me a copy of the manual, but they can't find it. Anyone got one? How about a schematic?

Anyway, why does the Sonosax allow 12-24 volts for external powering and the mv100 say only 24v. Is this just a misprint on beyer's part? Has someone tried powering it with 12v?

Along those same lines, why would it work fine with 18v (2x9v batteries) but require 24v for external power?

I don't need the full 48v of phantom power....I'd only ever use it for my AKG 391's...which work with 18v of phantom power.

I would love to hear what people think.....

Peace,
Zach
Zach at funkytulip dot com

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: beyer mv-100 power
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 04:41:46 PM »
I powered my MV100 with a pair of 12V cells wired to a 4 pin harness.  Then I used one adapter harness to charge the pair in parallel at 12V and another harness to run them in series for 24V.  It's an easy project.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline wacky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 04:50:50 PM »
thanks for the info. That's what I was considering doing myself. I was considering doing it with AA batteries wired up instead of SLA's....less size and weight.
However, I wonder if it is possible to power the unit off of 12v only. Or 18v for that matter.....

see info about Sax and phantom above....

but I'd love to hear other reports....

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 04:55:28 PM »
you can get some REALLY small and light 12v sla's (much smaller than the 20x aa batteries you'd otherwise need) -- check out powersonic's site for model numbers -- teabag's harness idea would be a quick and easy way to solve your problem and would avoid the charging issues you'd have with so many aa cells.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 05:18:24 PM »
thanks for the info. That's what I was considering doing myself. I was considering doing it with AA batteries wired up instead of SLA's....less size and weight.
However, I wonder if it is possible to power the unit off of 12v only. Or 18v for that matter.....

I sold my MV100 and the manual went with it, so I'm pulling this out of my ass from 6 years ago when I made it.  I recall the low battery voltage being around 17V or 15V.  It would not work on 12V.   You can make a similar multi cell configuration using 3 6V batteries and that would work if my memory about the low voltage point is correct.

dnsacks has a good point about the smaller SLAs.  I used 1.2 AH cells.  Max draw is 80ma so expect better than 10 hours at full draw.  I used KM184s with the MV100 and I think I got close to 12 hours one time before the low batery indicator came on.  Before that I used it with CM300s, so no phantom power, and I would run for days and days - I never even saw low-bat.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 06:42:24 PM »

I sold my MV100 and the manual went with it, so I'm pulling this out of my ass from 6 years ago when I made it.  I recall the low battery voltage being around 17V or 15V.  It would not work on 12V.   You can make a similar multi cell configuration using 3 6V batteries and that would work if my memory about the low voltage point is correct.

dnsacks has a good point about the smaller SLAs.  I used 1.2 AH cells.  Max draw is 80ma so expect better than 10 hours at full draw.  I used KM184s with the MV100 and I think I got close to 12 hours one time before the low batery indicator came on.  Before that I used it with CM300s, so no phantom power, and I would run for days and days - I never even saw low-bat.

i use 2 7AH SLA in series for my mv100. i think i charged my batteries twice last year.  ran the pre for show after show after show. never had the low battery light come on.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com