Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: In-Ear Binaurals  (Read 2396 times)

Offline brad24bit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
In-Ear Binaurals
« on: August 02, 2004, 11:14:00 PM »
I'm looking to get a pair of in-ear binaurals mostly for field recordings, but i will be recording some local jazz and blues bands at a small bar that i frequent. I've been looking at the Microphone madness in-ears, the SP in-ears and the soundman in-ears. Basically i'm looking for the pair that is most comfortable and won't fall out of my ears. Anybody have any opinions?

Offline Mobius

• Taperssection Regular
  • Degenerate Extraudinaire
Re: In-Ear Binaurals
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 11:32:53 PM »
I use these!

Granted, given the economic freedom currently unavailable to me (for now..bwahaha), I'd upgrade to something better- but for the cost, they they work to truely beautiful effect - also saves you worrying about mounting techniques and such (gawd theyre fun tapes to listen to through headphones).

The SP's have a tendancy to not like bass (as a result ive had to run the rolloff at some levels that detract from quality..stadium shows for example) or extreme SPLs, but for what youre lookin to use em for I think you'll be fine.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 09:06:22 PM »
if the mics go into your ears, where do the ear plugs go?   :P

silverbullet

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 06:49:31 AM »
I use the soundman in ear omni's. They aren't very comfortable and probably won't fall out. Get them in right the first time and they won't fall out. They look like ear plugs. I turn the mics around so the wire comes just out front and hidden around my ear. I've had security talk to me, even talking right into the mics, and they didn't have a clue that these were mics and not ear plugs. They didn't notice that I had a pair of SP mics on top of my ears either.

I've heard that the SP in ear mics brickwall with heavy bass. No problem with the soundmans but I should use a bass roll over around 75-95 for heavy rock bands.

I also use these soundman under my shirt for total concealment if I think security is going to be very tight.

If you are going to buy the soundman mics then I would recommend not to purchase the optional A3 battery box. The A3 battery box has a nice pad feature on it but the bass roll off switch cuts off at 300. The soundman mics can handle 10v so get a very small SP battery box with the bass roll off option and volume option if you like that. The small SP box is not much biggeR than the 9v battey itself. image. Mine has a cable lenth of 3 inches and I just velcro the SP box to the back of my recorder. Velcro down the wires to prevent movement also.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 07:14:38 AM by silverbullet »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com